Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wednesday 2/10/2010

I did have to miss a close Bobcats 1 point win and a depressing UNC loss to Duke to attend this show but in the long run I think I'll be alright. This is the first big named show on my stretch of shows that I will be attending. Show 2 of 7 - Further (http://www.furthur.net/) - Bojangles Coliseum - Charlotte, NC

This is the first time that I've seen Furthur as a band but definitely not the first time I've seen all the band members - Furthur consist of rhythm guitar player Bob Weir and bass player Phil Lesh both from the original Grateful Dead. I have seen Bob Weir's Band Ratdog 3 times before and I've seen them both play together before last Easter Sunday when "The Dead" (all of the original members of the band except Jerry Garcia, obviously) played their first show of The Dead tour in Greensboro, NC. Another gem with this band is the lead guitar player for Furthur is John Kadlecik who is the lead singer and guitar player for Dark Star Orchastra a Grateful Dead coverband which we will address next weekend!!! He looks and sounds just like Jerry and guitar playing is excellent.


I attended the show w/ my two friends Bo and Dustin and while there I did see my friend and old boss Jon M as well. Show started as usual 40 minutes late @ 7:42 which I have come to expect anytime you see the major jam bands play. Overall a great show. I have yet to go to a show with the dead that has not been a worthwhile experience. On this occasion I would have to give the song selection a 6 out of 10 due to my personal liking but still a great show. My favorite songs played were "Me and My Uncle", "Cold Rain and Snow", and the encore "Box of Rain"(one of my all time favorite Dead songs of all times). All the songs played I would describe as the slower / lighter side of the Dead's music which is still good just not my personal favorites. The atmosphere was extremely positive and the Furthur's real fans were definitely in attendance which makes experience that much better. You really see all ages from kids to 80 year old men with beards and tie dies running around like they are 15 years old enjoying the music. It is always a site for sore eyes. I'm not sure if the show sold out but there was a large crowd. Even in the bands old age you would never know it by listening to their music played live. Phil Lesh's voice is starting to show it's age but that's OK!!!! Overall I would rank this show a 9 of 10 - If they had played (in my opinion) a better set list this would be a 11 out of 10 but awesome experience.

Ticket Price $52

No comments:

Post a Comment